French fries are also known as chips, finger chips, fries, or French-fried potatoes. They are served hot, either crispy or hot. French fries are generally consumed as a part of lunch or dinner and sometimes people only enjoy French fries as a snack. They appear on the menus of fast-food restaurants, diners, and so on. They can be served with ketchup or can be served with toppings or condiments like mayonnaise, vinegar, or other local specialties.
[Recipe] How To Make French Fries at Home – Easy Steps
They can be topped more heavily, such as in the dishes like poutine and chili cheese fries. French fries can also make from sweet potatoes other than potatoes. French fries also have a baked variant that is known as chunky oven chips that use less oil or even no oil. In most Countries, French fries are easily available.
French fries normally contain carbohydrates mostly in the form of starch that comes from potatoes. French fries are also associated with fat that is absorbed during the process of deep-frying and depending upon the seasoning, they are also associated with sodium. Various techniques of French frying include Blanching (cooking), Deep fryer, Deep frying, Vacuum fryer, and Chip pan. Several variants of French fries are available and they are as follows:-
Variants of French Fries
- Animal fries (In-N-Out Burger product) – These fries covered with cheese, grilled onions, and In-N-Out’s secret spread.
- Carne asada fries – These fries covered with carne asada, guacamole, sour cream, and cheese.
- Cheese fries (UK – cheesy chips) – fries covered with cheese.
- Chile fries – These fries topped with green chile peppers, common in the US state of New Mexico.
- Chili fries – These fries covered with chili.
- Chili cheese fries – These fries covered with chili con carne and cheese.
- Crinkle-cut fries – These are also known as “wavy fries”, they’re cut in a corrugated fashion.
- Curly fries – These are characterized by their spring-like shape, cut from whole potatoes using a specialized spiral slicer.
- Curry chips – These fries covered in curry sauce, a popular item served by chip shops in Ireland.
French fries sandwich.
- Home fries – These fries cut into rough cubes instead of sticks.
- Oven fries – These fries that are cooked in the oven as a final step in the preparation (having been coated with oil during preparation at the factory), are often sold frozen.
- Potato waffles – The potato formed into a lattice shape.
- Potato wedges – They are Thick-cut fries with the skin.
- Poutine – It is a dish consisting of fries topped with cheese curds and light brown gravy and principally associated with the Canadian province of Québec.
- Seasoned fries – They are coated with spices, or other ingredients, which include garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika, and salt
- Shoestring fries – These fries cut “as thin as a shoestring”.
- Steak fries – These are thick-cut fries.
- Sweet potato fries – These fries made with sweet potatoes instead of traditional white potatoes Triple Cooked Chips.
- Waffle fries – These are obtained by the quarter-turning of the potato.
The French fry lovers want to make French fries at their home. So, now, let’s catch a simple recipe through which you can have your homemade French fries.
You need the following ingredients for cooking French fries. 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled.
Things Needed for French Fries at Home
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup water, or as needed
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
Its preparation time is 15 minutes, cooking time is 10 minutes, and ready in approx 25 minutes. Preparation procedure:-
- At first, slice potatoes into the French fries sizes and place them into cold water so that they don’t turn brown in the meantime of the preparation of oil.
- Now, heat oil in a large skillet, keep the heat medium-high. When the oil is warming up, sift the flour, garlic salt, onion salt, regular salt, and paprika into a large bowl. Now, stir it gradually in enough water. It should reach a consistency so that the mixture can be drizzled from a spoon.
- Now, dip potato slices into the prepared batter, one slice at a time, and place it in the hot oil.
Remember that they should not touch oil at first. You have to place the fries into the skillet one at a time otherwise they can clump together. Fry until they turn crispy and golden brown. Remove them and drain excess oil on paper towels. Now, enjoy your homemade French fries with your favorite toppings and accompaniments.
With the above recipe, you can enjoy your French fries at your home anytime.